Like it or not, television educates the listener and the beholder. For this reason, it is important that parents have control over the device as the content may not be appropriate for children.
In this case, it is necessary that parents agree with the values that are being broadcast on television and to accept that their children can behave like many of the characters that exist in this.
Education is a right and a duty of the family, it should not be the responsibility of anyone else until they have knowledge and approve what is transmitted to the child.
There is no doubt that television can entertain, amuse, inform, teach and to accompany children, but can also have undesirable influences.
Most of the time, the TV can teach children things that are inappropriate or incorrect, that because for them it is difficult to distinguish between the fantasy presented on television and reality.
However, the problems and bad influences not only the result envisioned programs, but also the hundreds of commercials with which we are bombarded all the time. Many of them, encourage unhealthy eating habits, stimulate consumption, induce alcohol consumption and promote lifestyles that combine the possession of luxuries the factors of success, happiness and well-being.
Violence on television, according to research in psychology, negatively affects children and young people.
Among the main effects, children may become less sensitive to pain and suffering, feel greatest fears and become more aggressive.
In addition to these negative effects, the time a child spends watching television inhibits it to perform many other important activities such as reading, school work, games, interaction with family and social development activities those that directly contribute to their physical, psychological and intellectual development.
At a time when often both parents have professional occupations, children have increasingly more time in which they are unaccompanied.
In this context, it is essential to make a daily effort so that children can talk about their daily lives, of their activities and even when they are in school, they should keep in touch with parents.
Research indicates that after watching the programs with violent content children will have a greater likelihood of committing violent acts also. This negative influence is also reflected in further discussions, aggression, tendency to disobey and to show impatience.
According to other studies, these television programs are the factor that best relates to the aggressive behavior of children, surpassing other factors linked to economic and social, racial factors or parental behavior.
So to combat this problem, it is essential to explain to children the difference between reality and fiction. Studies also indicate that parents have a great influence to mediate the situation.
Tips to help parents in the choice of television programs
- It is advisable to reduce the the number of hours children spend in front of the television and you should ban violent programs.
- It is essential that parents should watch the program with their children, as well, can take advantage of the favorable occasions to discuss the content of what is seen and what is conveyed by the advertisements.
- Regarding the TV series, it will also be important to watch at least one episode in order to understand their content and to be able to discuss it with the children.
- Parents can also motivate children to watch programs that demonstrate aid situations, solidarity, love and understanding and that are appropriate to their level of development.
- Another way to control what children see, is disallow children to have a TV in the room.
- Parents also should not allow the children to perform school tasks with the television on, as this is to divert the child’s attention.
- The TV should also not remain on during mealtime, because this should be a time of fellowship among family members.
With a proper guidance, children learn to use television in a constructive and healthy way.